Want to be an Adult Leader?
Most CISV programs are designed for the children, but they also provide very educational, enlightening experience for the adults. Adult leaders play a key role in Village, Interchange, and Summer Camp. In a Village, the team of leaders, along with the junior counselors, carry out the day to day program of the camp, planning the activities and shaping the experience for the 11 year old participants. In a Step Up Camp, the leader’s role is more akin to that of a facilitator, as the participants themselves plan the camp’s activities with the guidance of the adult leaders. During an Interchange, the leader collaborates with the parents and delegates to plan out a group schedule and activities, while also hosting the delegation leader from the partner country.
While the leaders focus much of their energy on enriching the children’s experience during the day, the late-evening hours provide time for the leaders to have their own CISV experience. After hours, activities are often arranged to enhance cultural understanding among the twenty or more adults who facilitate the program for the children. Just like the children, the adult leaders form lasting friendships with their colleagues from around the world.
Adult volunteers in a CISV activity should not expect a vacation, but to work eighteen hours a day for the duration of the program. Leaders do get time off from the camp so they can spend a day off-site, exploring the local community, and in the Village program, the middle weekend of the month allows the leaders to get some relaxation time together as a group while the children stay with host families.
Program Interest Survey
- Please fill out Program Interest Survey – 2019
- Village (leading an 11-year-old delegation of 4 delegates – 2 boys & 2 girls)
- Interchange (leading a 12-13, 13-14, or 14-15-year-old delegation of 6+ delegates – 3+ boys & 3+ girls)
- Youth Meeting (leading a 12-13 or 14-15-year-old delegation of 4 delegates – 2 boys & 2 girls)
- Step Up (leading a 14 or 15-year-old delegation of 4 delegates – 2 boys & 2 girls)
Applying to be an Adult Leader or Interchange Junior Leader and need to find application material?
- Click here to Apply – must be age 21+ on the first day of program
- All Adult Leaders & Staff must attend both Local and National Leadership Training.
- Be willing to acquire a thorough knowledge of CISV, and adhere to the goals and philosophy of the organization.
- Exhibit behavior that is mature, responsible, and appropriate in keeping with the CISV philosophy and the role of leader for youth.
- Attend and participate fully in the mandatory Local and National Leadership Workshops preceding the CISV program. (if a selected leader does not attend these workshops, the Chapter is required to cancel that selection and fill the position with an individual who does attend them.)
- Pay any dues or fees required by the Chapter within a month after selection.
- Develop good rapport with all the program participants and their families promoting a group feeling among them.
- Be responsible for seeing that forms required by CISV (including those required of child-delegates as well as those required of the leader) are completed properly and submitted on time.
- Respond to pre-program communications, complying with requests and time-frames.
- Take responsibility for overseeing travel preparations:
- Be aware and communicate any health problems the children or other adults may have, be able to deal with such problems if they arise and be able to assist any host families or program staff in dealing with such problems.
- Be able to give a general accounting of group monies, and specific accounting of emergency monies to Chapter/families.
- Keep the Chapter contact person informed about plans of the delegation or individual and progress toward readiness for the experience.
- Plan and conduct at least one post-program activity with the participants and their families.
- Be receptive to suggestions from CISV – local, National, and International.
- Promote CISV whenever possible.
- Remain active in the Chapter for the year immediately after the CISV program.
Selected as an Adult Leader-Staff and need to find forms?
- Click here for Forms – Adult Legal Form & Health Form
Leader Resources – Post-Selection
- Program Guide – Village, Interchange, Youth Meeting
- Delegation Information Form – Village, Interchange, Youth Meeting
- Travel Information Form
Want to be DIRECTOR or STAFF at a Program?
- List your information on our CISV USA Staff/Director spreadsheet – click here